I am keen on nature’s compact greens, resembling squash, peppers, and eggplant, which make great “containers” for savory fillings. When crammed with complete grains, legumes, herbs, and nuts, these unassuming greens flip into a beautiful plant-based meal in a single. This recipe for Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat is impressed by a visit to the farmers market, the place I spied stunning golden acorn squash simply the proper dimension for stuffing. You can also use conventional green-skinned acorn squash, in addition to any small squash, resembling butternut, buttercup, and carnival, that are broadly accessible in most supermarkets.
I flip to a vegetable broth to simmer grain and legume fillings in an effort to add a wealthy taste. And I exploit fast cooking freekeh (a type of toasted inexperienced complete wheat) and lentils on this stuffed squash recipe, which implies which you could create this straightforward stuffed squash dish very quickly. This vegan stuffed squash recipe is simply so satisfying and healthful! All you need to do is pair it with a crisp salad and you’ve got a sublime meal any time of the week. Plus it’s completely fabulous for the vacations, too.
Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat
Yield: 4 servings 1x
Weight loss program: Vegan
Flip to winter squash to create a wholesome, scrumptious plant-based Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat.
- 2 small (about 1 ¾ pound every) squashes (i.e., acorn, butternut, carnival)
- 1 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 inexperienced onions, finely diced
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons contemporary sage, chopped (or 2 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ cup inexperienced or brown lentils, dried
- ½ cup bulgur, raw
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, decreased sodium
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Break up acorn squash in half horizontally, scoop out seeds.
- Place in a baking dish crammed with ½ inch water and bake for half-hour.
- Whereas squash is baking, put together filling. Warmth olive oil in a sauté pan or skillet.
- Sauté garlic, celery, onions, and mushrooms for 4 minutes.
- Add walnuts, sage, black pepper, smoked paprika, and mustard.
- Stir in lentils and bulgur, and sauté for an extra minute.
- Add broth and soy sauce, stirring properly.
- Cowl and simmer on medium warmth for Quarter-hour, stirring often. Makes about 3 cups filling.
- Fill squash cavities with filling (about 3/4 cup every).
- Return to oven, uncovered and bake for an extra 10-Quarter-hour till filling is golden brown.
- Take away from oven and serve.
Key phrases: stuffed acorn squash, stuffed acorn squash recipes, vegan stuffed acorn squash, stuffed squash, stuffed squash recipe
For different squash recipes, take a look at a few of my favorites:
Squash Crammed with Herbed Quinoa and Cranberries
Butternut Squash Kale Barley Salad
Balsamic Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.
Leave a Reply